Background Image Alternative Text: Two students on the drill field

Services for students with disabilities

Disability Support Services assists in determining the classroom accommodations that are most appropriate for students with disabilities based on documentation of their disability. Disability Support Services encourages communication with instructors regarding accommodations. Disability Support Services will provide eligible students with Notification Letters regarding their classroom and testing accommodations to give to their professors. Examples of classroom and testing accommodations are varied, but may include: Adapted testing arrangements, extended time on tests, testing in a distraction-free environment, assistance with alternative formats of textbooks, and advocacy with the MSU Housing Department for help with living arrangements.

How to Apply

  1. Fill out an application by logging into your MyState account, click on the “Banner” tab, and then click on “Disability Support Services Application” under the “Academic Records” section of the page.

  2. Provide Disability Support Services with documentation of your disability. See Students with Disabilities Policy.

  3. Contact Disability Support Services at 662-325-3335 to schedule an intake session.

**Important Notice for Students Currently Served Through Disability Support Services **

Notification Letter Process

  1. Log in to your MyState account.
  2. Click on the Banner Tab
  3. Select view class schedule and grades
  4. Select current semester
  5. Locate the column labeled "Notification Letter" to the far right, and check each box for the professor that you want the letter sent to.
  6. Click submit

The professor will receive the Notification of Disability Letter in an email, and the student will receive an email confirmation. The student is then responsible for talking to their professors about specific accommodations needed in the class.

Please feel free to contact our office with any issues or questions at 662-325-3335.

Student Involvement

United Students is a student organization that serves as an advocacy and support group. Its members are comprised of students with and without disabilities. For more information contact Disability Support Services at 662-325-3335.

Student Responsibilities

Students are responsible for the following:

  1. You are responsible for requesting notification of disability emails be sent to your professors/instructors EVERY semester. These must be provided before an instructor/professor can provide an accommodation.
  2. You are responsible for planning and scheduling accommodations with your instructors. (Example: You are responsible for scheduling to take your tests in the DSS testing center).
  3. You are responsible for communicating with your professor/instructor. Students and faculty are encouraged to maintain communication throughout the semester regarding accommodations.
  4. You are responsible for notifying DSS IMMEDIATELY if you have problems receiving accommodations, or if you feel you have been discriminated against.

Appeals Process

Students with disabilities who believe appropriate accommodation has not been made or who feel they have been discriminated against based on their disability should seek assistance from DSS. If assistance offered by DSS is not satisfactory, please reference the university’s Non-Discrimination and Harassment Policy

Course Substitution

The student should make a request through Disability Support Services to the Academic Accommodations Committee. Requests to the committee must be accompanied by current documentation that should provide persuasive evidence that the student is capable of academic success with appropriate academic and testing accommodations. Standardized test scores, historical information, and other standard evaluations should reveal clear deficiencies in these areas. In addition, a request for substitution can be made only after documented use of appropriate academic and testing accommodations.

The recommendation from DSS, along with documentation, will be considered by the Academic Accommodations Committee. The determination of this committee will be forwarded with documentation to the department in which the student is majoring, the student's dean's office, DSS, and Registrar’s Office.

If college requirements are being appealed, the dean and department head will make the final decision.

For appeals requesting substitution of university requirements, the dean will forward a recommendation to the Office of Academic Affairs.

Temporary Disabilities

DSS recognizes that individuals with temporary disabilities that are result of injuries, surgery, or short-term medical conditions may need accommodations similar to individuals with permanent disabilities. Examples of temporary disabilities may include, but are not limited to: broken limbs, hand injuries, or short-term impairments following surgery or medical treatments. To receive accommodations for a temporary disability, the student must submit documentation to DSS indicating the type of disability, severity, limitations, prognosis, and estimated duration of the disabling condition. Additional documentation may be requested to verify the need for continued services after the estimated duration of the condition has expired.


Disability-related housing accommodations are to be requested through the Office of Disability Support Services.

  • Students with disabilities requesting housing accommodations must begin the process by submitting the request to DSS.
  • Students must provide documentation from and appropriate professional indicating diagnosis and the need for housing accommodations.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to notify DSS each semester that accommodations are needed.

Chronic Illness

Students with a chronic illness should contact DSS for assistance with occasional absences and tardiness. Documentation of illness is required in order to receive accommodations. There are limitations to the amount of absences/tardiness that may be obtained each semester due to a chronic illness. This will be discussed with students during the intake process.

Multiple Exams

Students should not have to take more than two final examinations in a given day. To resolve the issue of multiple final examinations, students will initiate the process. It is the students responsibility to contact instructors regarding rescheduling of examinations. The rescheduling should be completed prior to the beginning of the final examination period and the resulting examination must be administered during the final examination period. For more information on the approved process for rescheduling exams, see Academic Policy 12.04.

What To Do When


  • Students should request notification of disability letter for instructors through their MyState account prior to the first day of class.


  • Students are encouraged to discuss academic accommodations with instructors on the first day of class.


  • Students will be notified via email when priority registration beings.


  • Students taking an exam for the following classes will need to report to the DSS testing center by 5:00 p.m. the day of the exam in order to receive extended testing time:
    • MA 1313
    • MA 1323
    • MA 1613
    • MA/ST 2113
    • ACC 2013
    • ACC 2023
    • Engineering Mechanics

How do I find tutors?

  • The Learning Center in Allen Hall, Room 267, provides tutoring services in many academic subject areas and is open to all students. To view courses being tutored and a tutoring schedule, please go to
  • Check with your professor or instructor. They, or their departmental office, may have a list of graduate students, or capable undergrads, in your subject area. It is up to the student to negotiate all aspects of the tutor’s employment. Tutors are paid by the hour and can run $12-$25 per hour, possible more for highly technical subjects.
  • Complete a tutor request form with DSS. DSS has tutors available as well. However, tutors and their subject areas are limited. It is the student’s responsibility to pay tutors provided by DSS.

Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities

Online Schools is a simple to use directory containing numerous scholarship options for students with disabilities that range from national financial aid opportunities to local opportunities within the United States and Canada.

Additional financial aid opportunities can be found by visiting the Best Colleges web site.

Additional Resources

Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services